3.3 Motivation in a business environment
Introduction to Motivation
Motivation is the urge to continue on your journey in order to reach your goals and wishes for your business or personal life.
Motivation is key to developing your business, both at home and on a global scale, inviting new developments such as rebranding, restructuring, creating new products and so much more. It is also essential to stay motivated in your personal life!
Watch this short video to inspire motivation in 6o seconds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMug2TPuWAE
Being motivated in your personal life
When running a business, it is easy to become unmotivated in your personal life as a lot of your energy and time is dedicated to being a business owner. Having time for yourself and staying motivated outside of work can be so beneficial for your physical and mental health and will allow you to achieve goals outside of the working environment.
Build space into your weekly timetable to spend time doing something you love. Whether it’s going to the gym, doing yoga or reading a book, making time for yourself will help you perform better in all areas of your life!
Being motivated in your professional life
The Global FemART project focuses on helping female artists and creatives to develop their businesses and expand internationally. Therefore, we are dedicated to helping you stay motivated in your professional life in order for you to be able to internationalise in the future. To stay motivated, consider the following mini tasks:
What makes you motivated?
Write a list of all the aspects of your life which motivate you. This could include family, friends, money, travel, personal growth etc.
How have you previously demonstrated motivation?
Reflect on times in your life that you have felt motivated.
What behaviours did you exhibit when you were motivated?
Reflection on your motivations
From the list of things that motivate you and previous times of motivation in your life, you should be able to see a pattern. There will be significant aspects of your life which you can use to motivate you in your professional life and these should be reflected on whenever possible to ensure that you stay motivated.
Motivation to Internationalise: Herzberg’s theory of motivators
When internationalising a business, motivation is key! Psychologist Frederick Herzberg theorized that factors of motivation where those which “enriched a person’s job”. Through his research, Herzberg identified 5 factors which contributed to job satisfaction.
- Achievement: Achieving something, even something small, during the day can maintain motivation and serve as a fuel for motivation too.
- Recognition: Receiving feedback and recognition for all your hard work can be a huge motivator for any business owner.
- The Work Itself: Enjoying the work you do is one of the most important factors for motivation!
- Responsibility: As a business owner, you will have a lot of responsibility. This can help to keep you motivated as there isn’t always someone else to do the work for you.
- Advancement: Internationalising a business can be a motivator itself! By advancing in your career and developing your business, you will start a new journey and be motivated to continue on this new path.
These motivators were also associated with long term positivity in business performance.Therefore, when developing your own business on an international level, it is recommended to consider these 5 factors of motivation. Below are some more tips and things to consider to increase your motivation.
Top tips to keep motivated!
Here are 10 top tips to stay motivated in relation to your business development and internationalisation planning:
- Don’t get distracted: It’s easier said than done but distractions can be one of the biggest causes of demotivation in the working environment. Have periods of complete concentration on a task, without looking at your phone, emails or talking to friends. Aim for at least 20 minutes of complete focus on 1 specific task. You’ll most likely find that this suddenly becomes a lot longer!
- Change up your day: Try not to do the same task for the entire day. Split your day up into sections and do a different task per section. This will allow your brain to focus on one job for a shorter amount of time, increasing motivation and concentration.
- Set manageable goals: Goal setting is one of the most beneficial ways to stay motivated at work. By setting small and manageable goals, you will ensure that you reach goals throughout the day, increasing your motivation to continue.
- Time management: Being stressed and running out of time can demotivate anyone! Plan your day out to ensure you complete your tasks on time and without causing yourself unnecessary stress.
- Have some ‘me’ time (do something different): Having a change of routine can be very beneficial for your motivation levels at work. Have some ‘me’ time and do something that is not work related. This will revitalise you and re-energise you when you start working again!
- Find a motivational role model: Find an inspirational role model that will motivate you to continue on your business journey. Look at successful stories from other female artists and creatives and see how you can draw from their experiences.
- Create a vision board: Visualising your future goals and dreams can be very motivational! Try the self-learning activity at the end of this unit and create your own business vision board.
- Say no to procrastination: At the start of your day, do the task that is the most difficult. After you have finished this, the rest of your day will seem easier and therefore you will be more motivated!
- Reward yourself: At the end of a busy working day, reward yourself; whatever makes you feel relaxed, destressed and happy! Motivation is sustained by positivity and having regular breaks and rewards will help maintain this positivity.
- Ask for help! As your business develops, you may find that your motivation level is harder to maintain. Asking for help can be really beneficial and will enable you to express your ideas, thoughts and concerns to someone else. In turn, you will feel more motivated!
Test your skills in the test for this unit!
Answer questions about this unit and save your score.
Go to test